Aspect Member Workshop: Planning the ASPECT Commercialisation ToolkitBackNews & Events
19th June 2020
Please note that this was a closed event, open only to members of the Aspect network.
Museum of Cardiff- The Old Library, The Hayes, Cardiff, CF10 1BH
5 March 2020
09:15 – 15:30
The aim of this workshop was to get some ideas down and pen to paper regarding what the Aspect commercialisation toolkit would look like and what we have learnt so far from each of the workshops; bringing these leanings together and then seeing where to go next.
The Workshop was facilitated by Bruce Etherington and Sophie Jones from Cardiff University.
ICE BREAKER ACTIVITY
Who is the commercial market for Social Science research (including arts/humanities)
- Clients and services
- Income and funding and linkage grants of commercial activities
- Commercial arrangements; advocacy organisations and commercialisation units of universities
Incentives to Commercialise
- Relevance and collaboration
- Financial rewards, promotion and careers
- Skills development and changing attitudes
How to overcome impediments to commercialisation
- University promotions, identity and culture
- Managing activities—resources and time
- Intellectual Property
- Lack of skills/knowledge and university structure
Recommendations to support commercialisation activities
- Understanding, promoting and publicising the value of AHSS research
- Standard practices across the tertiary sector, ‘How to guides’, top tips etc…
- Building business skills and improving industry awareness
Bringing it all together and next steps
- What’s missing? Next workshop dates
- Final toolkit: how will it look? Publishing date? How will it be accessed?
Pre evening meal was held at Cosy Club- 1 Hills St, St David’s Centre, Cardiff CF10 2LE
Latest News & Events
5 June 2023
Aspect Festival23 is here!
Forget Netflix this summer – Aspect Festival23 is kicking off on the 14th of June with its own media channel showcasing videos, podcasts, interviews, blogs, research commercialisation findings and much much more. New items will be released every day. In a celebration of the Aspect community we’ll be streaming a huge amount of content from […]
1 June 2023
Innovation funding opportunities for the Social Sciences
Online event, 90-minutes Audience: Social science researchers and professional staff The Aspect-funded Innovation Fellowship programme will be running an online session at the beginning of July to discuss the various innovation funding opportunities accessible to social science academics in the UK. Further details to follow soon.
30 May 2023
SHAPE Pre-Accelerator Programme – cohorts running from 6 June & 13 June 2023
Limited spaces are remaining on the upcoming SHAPE Pre-Accelerator Programme. Open to all SHAPE researchers, this five-session online training will explore market validation and routes to generating sustained impact. It will support researchers to identify the next steps to progress their ideas and meet colleagues from universities across the UK undertaking a similar journey.
30 May 2023
Join us for this online workshop and networking event where we’ll consider what research commercialisation does or could look like for arts and humanities disciplines.
In this session hosted by the Cultural Capital Exchange, we will consider what is meant by ‘commercialisation’ and how this aligns with the understandings and value systems of academics working across Arts and Humanities disciplines.
Find out how the Aspect network can support youGet Involved
Discover how social sciences research is transforming societyResources