Aspect Member Workshop: Planning the ASPECT Commercialisation ToolkitBackNews & Events
19th June 2020
Please note that this was a closed event, open only to members of the Aspect network.
Museum of Cardiff- The Old Library, The Hayes, Cardiff, CF10 1BH
5 March 2020
09:15 – 15:30
The aim of this workshop was to get some ideas down and pen to paper regarding what the Aspect commercialisation toolkit would look like and what we have learnt so far from each of the workshops; bringing these leanings together and then seeing where to go next.
The Workshop was facilitated by Bruce Etherington and Sophie Jones from Cardiff University.
ICE BREAKER ACTIVITY
Who is the commercial market for Social Science research (including arts/humanities)
- Clients and services
- Income and funding and linkage grants of commercial activities
- Commercial arrangements; advocacy organisations and commercialisation units of universities
Incentives to Commercialise
- Relevance and collaboration
- Financial rewards, promotion and careers
- Skills development and changing attitudes
How to overcome impediments to commercialisation
- University promotions, identity and culture
- Managing activities—resources and time
- Intellectual Property
- Lack of skills/knowledge and university structure
Recommendations to support commercialisation activities
- Understanding, promoting and publicising the value of AHSS research
- Standard practices across the tertiary sector, ‘How to guides’, top tips etc…
- Building business skills and improving industry awareness
Bringing it all together and next steps
- What’s missing? Next workshop dates
- Final toolkit: how will it look? Publishing date? How will it be accessed?
Pre evening meal was held at Cosy Club- 1 Hills St, St David’s Centre, Cardiff CF10 2LE