Research Commercialisation Community of Practice
Aspect is organised into cross-institutional, cross-disciplinary communities, designed to capture and share knowledge across five core areas of practice. The Research Commercialisation Community of Practice (CoP) seeks to share best practices, find opportunities for shared activities and identify and test new and experimental models for commercialising social sciences research.
To find out more, or to join the the Research Commercialisation CoP, please contact Morven Fraser-Walther firstname.lastname@example.org
Who is involved?
The Research Commercialisation CoP is made up of volunteers drawn from the founding Aspect member institutions, who have some responsibility for leading on Research Commercialisation within their organisation, mainly representatives from TTOs. Current CoP members’ responsibilities, for example, include research commercialisation via licenses and spin-outs, engaging with local economic and in some cases social enterprise ecosystems and working with researchers to explore further pathways to impact either full time or as part of their existing role.
What do we do?
The Research Commercialisation CoP aims to provide its participants and the wider Aspect membership with a deeper and broader understanding of best practice and alternative approaches to each stage of the research commercialisation pipeline from stimulating ideas, assessing IP, managing software, building out a support ecosystem, finding funding and providing post-spinout or licence support where required. CoP members are encouraged to contribute by:
- Sharing knowledge and experience through a series of roadshows, targeting support personnel and academics
- Creating shared resources or at a minimum best practice to help build out the support ecosystem for research commercialisation, particularly around finding investment and overcoming skills gaps such as software development
- Co-creating usable learning assets such as a strawman model for commercialisation and an agreed generic model
- Support for other events and activities to support research commercialisation such as investor days and competitions
This CoP is running the following projects:
- The Aspect Research Commercialisation (ARC) Accelerator – formerly called the SUCCESS Programme
- The Research Commercialisation Workshop Series
Although we believe the more we can share across (and within) member institutions, the better, there are no obligations for Research Commercialisation CoP members to share content or cross-promote.
Identifying entrepreneurship opportunities and sharing knowledge and expertiseEntrepreneurship
Building a shared network of business partnerships and industry engagementBusiness Engagement
Raising the profile of social sciences, arts and humanities research commercialisation and supporting communication and network engagementCommunications
Sharing best practices and identifying new and experimental modelsResearch Commercialisation
Coming soonAcademic Champions